Football’s biggest day means big business to the city that’s lucky enough to be selected to host, and this year is proving no different for New Orleans, whose 35,000 rooms compare well to Indianapolis, the host of the big game in 2012. With less than two weeks before the big event, Expedia Market Manager Ted Bogan, III offers a look at the stats.
According to Bogan, the Average Daily Rate (ADR) for New Orleans' hotels is trending almost 20 percent ahead of Indianapolis' pace last year at approximately $370, and room nights are pacing over 130 percent compared to Indianapolis last year. The Average Length of Stay (LOS) is trending at 3.6 nights, which is comparable to 2012.
But strategies tend to change as hotels approach the end zone. In the week leading up to super Sunday, ADR and LOS decreased. Indianapolis is most notable because of its comparable size, but even substantially larger markets experienced a downturn.
“Some fans wait until after the playoffs to make their plans, so this week may be your last opportunity to maximize ADR and length of stay,” said Bogan. “Just like the players, hoteliers need to leave it all on the field. If history repeats itself next week, rates will drop and length of stay requirements will go out the window like Mardi Gras beads off a balcony.”
TIPS FOR HOTELIERS
- Bring Your A-Game. With only 10 days until fans start pouring into town, keep all of your distribution channels open to maximize the influx of demand.
- Watch Out for the Blitz. Check comp set websites daily, even twice daily.
- Look Out for the Sneak Play. Recognize that for major events, nearby cities like Gulfport/Biloxi and Baton Rouge are only an hour away and offer guests a substantial savings. Plan your offerings accordingly.
- Get the Field Goal. The majority of fans plan their trip from Friday through Monday. Incent guests to stay extra nights by offering a discount for Thursday and Monday nights.
- Go for Two. The big game seems to be cannibalizing some of the traditional demand for Mardi Gras. Consider discounting the middle of the week to get guests to string together both events.
Expedia, Inc. is an online travel company with an extensive brand portfolio that includes some of the world’s leading online travel brands.
Wednesday, May 01, 2013 by Alan
Did you know you can also find Hotel rooms during OLYMPICS, SUPER BOWL, FIFA WORLD CUP, FINAL FOUR, F1, Formula One, Grand Prix races in Austin Texas... Book now at http://CloseToStadiumHotels.co.uk and http://www.FormulaHotelsAndAustin.com . I booked with them last year and they upgraded me!… They offer Luxury Lodging and affordable accommodations for ALL EVENTS. 917-224-1231. I was lucky last year, they upgraded me to the HILTON 2 minutes from the stadium!
Tuesday, January 22, 2013 by Mel
BOOK SUPER BOWL HOTELS NOW... They have OMNI, TEAMS HOTELS AND ALL... Find Hotel rooms during SUPER BOWL, OLYMPICS, FIFA WORLD CUP, FINAL FOUR, F1, Formula One, Grand Prix races in Austin Texas... Book now at http://14sb.com and http://www.2020Hotels.com . I booked with them last year and they upgraded me!… They offer Luxury Lodging and affordable accommodations for ALL EVENTS. 917-224-1231. I was lucky last year, they upgraded me to the French Quarter 2 minutes from the stadium!